Professor at the Université Paul Sabatier of Toulouse (France)- Co-Head of the VORTEX Group
Researcher in the VORTEX group (Virtual Objects : from Reality To EXpression) of the IRIT laboratory- Associate member of the Manao Project (Inria Sud-Ouest) - Affiliated member of the Computer Graphics Group of the University of Victoria (Canada)
- IRIT-CNRS UMR 5505 - Université Paul Sabatier
118, Route de Narbonne
31062 Toulouse Cedex 9, France
- 0033 (0)5 6155 6312 - Loic.Barthe at irit.fr
- Main Interest
Intuitive geometric modelling - Models for shape/volume representation - Shape deformations during animations
6 Latest News
Image of the Day
Topology-Aware Neighborhoods for Point-Based Simulation and
Reconstruction by Florian Canezin et al., Symposium on Computer Animation 2016. Funded by the ANR JCJC IM&M.
Short BioCo-Head of the VORTEX Group (since May 2012)
President of the Eurographics French Chapter executive board since April 2014 (vice-president 2009-2012)
Associate Editor for Computer & Graphics (C&G since 2016) and Graphical Models (GMOD since 2010)
Full Paper Conference Chair for Eurographics 2017
Best Paper Award Jury for Geometric & Physical Modeling (SPM2011) 2011, Chair for AFIG/EGFR from 2011 to 2015
Scientific Program Committee for SMI-FASE 2016, 2015, Expressive 2013 to 2016, CGI 2016, 2015, CASA 2016, Eurographics 2016, CAD/Graphics 2015, SMI 2015, 2014, 2010, 2005 to 2008, WSCG 2012 to 2015, GD/SPM 2013, SBIM 2012, 2011, 2008, GI 2012, 2011, Siggraph Asia S&P 2011, 2010, EWNP 2009, 2008, SPBG 2006 to 2008
Reviewer for Siggraph, Siggraph Asia, TOG, Eurographics, IEEE TVCG, CGF, CAGD, C&G, TVC, CAVW, etc
Reviewer in Habilitation Jury: Romain Raffin 2013
Reviewer in PhD Jury: Ludovic Blache 2016, Emilie Guy 2016, Jean-David Génevaux 2015, Stéphane Calderon 2015, Romain Casati 2015, Mathieu Bailet 2014, Cédric Zanni 2013, Sergey Podkorytov 2013, Lucian Stanculescu 2013, Noura Faraj 2013, Simon Boyé 2012, Yacine Boumzaïd 2012
Examinator in PhD Jury: Adrien Bernhardt 2013, Damien Rohmer 2011, François Destelle 2010, Mickaël Vermet 2010, Jamie Wither 2008
Funded Projects: DEMAGOS-3D (LabEx CIMI 2015-2018), R&T MNS (CNES 2013-2014), IM&M (ANR 2012-2015), NatSim (ANR 2006-2009)
International Expert for the Italian ANVUR
Expert for the HCERES
Reviewer for the ANR (National Research Agency)
Expert for the JEI and CIR (Jeunes Entreprises Innovantes et Crédit d'impôt Recherche, french government department of research and industry)
Active Collaborations: Marie-Paule Cani (INRIA Rhône-Alpes - France), Brian Wyvill (University of Victoria - Canada), Gael Guennebaud (INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest - France), Michiel van de Panne (University of British Columbia - Canada), Riccardo Scateni (Universita' di Cagliari)
Member ACM Siggraph, Eurographics, SIF, AFIG
PhD and Post-Docs
- 2002-2003: Research associate in the Computer Graphics group of the University of Aachen - Germany
- 2001-2002: Research associate in the Rainbow group of the University of Cambridge - UK
- 1997-2000: PhD thesis in the SIRV group, IRIT laboratory of the University of Toulouse - France
Research in Videos: Vimeo
Complete List of Publications: by years
Computer Science Bibliography: dblp top
Watch these !
Elastic Implicit Skinning: This video illustrates the use of field function compositions for improving the realism of skin deformations at joints when animating an articulated model. A tangential relaxation scheme derived from the ARAP energy controls mesh distortions. This technique is interactive and improves field function based mesh deformations. Published at Siggraph Asia 2014 (Transactions on Graphics 33(6)).
Topology-Aware Fluid Simulation: on Advanced n-Ary Composition Operators: This video illustrates the use of complex and massive function compositions with controlled and dissymmetric blending behaviors. We apply these graph-based new operators on point-based fluid simulations. We thus introduce a way for accurately controlling the fluid simulation and behavior at interfaces. Published at Symposium on Computer Animation 2016.
- 20/06/2015 - Olivier Gourmel will defend his PhD the 18/06/2015. The defense will take place at IRIT-UPS.
- 08/04/2015 - I'll give a presentation "Fonctions, formes 3D, assemblages et animation" at the CIMI / Sofia Kovaleskaïa session, the 08/04/2015 at 13h30, UPS-IMT.
- 06/03/2015 - The video of my seminar "Combiner les objets 3D par composition de fonctions" at Collège de France is now online.
- 20/01/2015 - Inaugural lecture "Façonner l'imaginaire : de la création numérique 3D aux mondes virtuels animés" by Marie-Paule Cani at Collège de France, Thursday 12 February 2015. During this lecture series, I'll give a seminar Thursday 27 February 2015.
- 24/10/2014 - Our paper Robust Iso-Surface Tracking for Interactive Character Skinning by Rodolphe Vaillant et al. has been accepted for publication in TOG - Siggraph Asia 2014. Congratulations Rodolphe for this very nice work !
- 07/10/2014 - I'll will animate a workshop at the Jean-Jaures primary school in interaction with the children. The subject is subdivision and it will hold the 17/11/2014. More here.
- 01/10/2014 - Our paper Modeling 3D Animals from a Side-View Sketch by Even Entem et al. has been accepted for publication in C&G - SMI2014. Congratulations Even for this nice first publication !
- 11/09/2014 - Researches on Implicit Skinning are presented in the CNRS Activity Report 2013 (page 46).
- 23/05/2014 - Our paper Globally Adaptive Control Variate for Robust Numerical Integration by Anthony Pajot et al. has been accepted for publication in SIAM SISC.
- 14/03/2014 - The Globally Adaptive Control Variate Library (GACVL) is now available under GNU GPL. See here.
- 18/02/2014 - Frédéric Claux will defend his PhD the 20/03/2014. The defense will take place at IRIT-UPS.
- 17/02/2014 - Implicit Skinning Librairies and Implicit Blending Librairies are now available for Ademic use only. See here.
- 30/01/2014 - I will give a presentation at "Programmer ! pour ne pas être programmé" (Espace Mendès-France) in Poitier the 15/02/2014.
- 18/12/2013 - Our paper Crack-free rendering of dynamically tesselated B-Rep models by Frédéric Claux et al. has been accepted for Eurographics 2014.
- 17/12/2013 - Our paper Génération bio-inspirée de formes 3D artistiques pour l’impression 3D by Caroline Desprat et al. presented at the conference AFIG 2013 is now online.
- 24/11/2013 - I will give a presentation at the "Mois de l'Informatique Graphique" in Limoges the 28/11/2013.
- 12/11/2013 - I will present the researcher/teacher profession at the "forum des métier", in the school Saint Thomas d'Aquin (Toulouse).
- 06/11/2013 - Even Entem joined us for three years. He starts a PhD under the co-supervision of Marie-Paule Cani (University of Grenoble). He is working on "3D Modeling of Animals by Sketching".
- 16/10/2013 - Our paper Implicit Decals: Interactive Editing of Repetitive Patterns on Surfaces by Erwin de Groot et al. has been accepted for publication in Computer Graphics Forum.
- 10/10/2013 - I will give presentations Qu'est-ce que la recherche ? Que fait un chercheur ? Recherche – Industrie – Enseignement from 9h15 am to 15h30 pm (11/10/2013) for the NOVELA event.
- 15/09/2013 - Maurizio Kovacic joined us for three years. He starts a PhD in Bath (UK) under the co-supervision of Brian Wyvill. He is working on "smart surfaces". Hopefully, at least Maurizio, Brian and I know what we are talking about !
- 30/06/2013 - After a long day of hard work, it's time for fun and pleasure !!! A nice place to enjoy: Pâtisserie Bourgeais à Fronton (31)
- 13/06/2013 - I'll give a presentation at "Ecole Jean-Jaures" of Toulouse, June 17th 2013, on "Science and some applications to computer graphics: the maths you're learning at 9-10 years old can be exciting!".
- 20/05/2013 - I'll give two presentations at "Collège Jean-Paul Laurent" of Ayguesvives, May 27th 2013, on "Linear functions and some applications to computer graphics: the maths you're learning at 14 years old can be exciting!".
- 18/05/2013 - Our paper Adequate Inner Bound for Geometric Modeling with Compact Field Functions by Florian Canezin et al. has been accepted for SMI 2013.
- 27/03/2013 - Our paper Implicit Skinning: Real-Time Skin Deformation with Contact Modeling by Rodolphe Vaillant et al. has been accepted for ACM Siggraph 2013.
- 18/03/2013 - Our TOG paper A Gradient-Based Implicit Blend by Olivier Gourmel et al. will be presented at SIGGRAPH in July 2013.
- 04/03/2013 - Even Entem joined us as Master student. He will be co-supervised by Marie-Paule Cani and his project is about animal modeling from sketches.
- 04/03/2013 - I'll give a presentation Models and Intuitive Modeling at INRIA-Grenoble for an ERC-Expressive seminar the 07/03/2013.
- 20/02/2013 - ACM-Siggraph Paris organizes a presentation of the three AFIG-EGFR'2012 Best-papers the 28/02/2013, 19h00 at Cité des Sciences de Paris.
- 29/01/2013 - Our paper Adaptive Remeshing for Real-Time Mesh Deformation by Marion Dunyach et al. has been accepted for publication at Eurographics-Short-Papers 2013.
- 30/11/2012 - Marion Dunyach left us for TechViz.
- 27/11/2012 - Rodolphe Vaillant got the AFIG/EGFR Best Paper Award with our paper Déformation de la peau d’un personnage avec prise en compte des contacts.
- 05/10/2012 - Our paper A Gradient-Based Implicit Blend by Olivier Gourmel et al. has been accepted for publication at ACM Transactions on Graphics.
- 23/08/2012 - Our paper An Efficient Trim Structure for Rendering Large B-Rep Models by Frédéric Claux et al. has been accepted for publication at VMV 2012.
- 23/08/2012 - The first IM&M workshop will hold in Toulouse (IRIT / Université Paul Sabatier) from 3 September 2012 to 5 Spetember 2012.
- 24/06/2012 - I'll give a presentation at "Ecole primaire de Saint Hilaire" of Montauban, June 25th 2012, on "Science and some applications to computer graphics: the maths you're learning at 10 years old can be exciting!".
- 05/06/2012 - I'll give two presentations at "Collège Jean-Paul Laurent" of Ayguesvives, June 7th 2012, on "Linear functions and some applications to computer graphics: the maths you're learning at 14 years old can be exciting!".
- 13/04/2012 - Anthony Pajot left us for Oktal SE (PhD defense : 26/04/2012 - 10h30 - IRIT1).
- 28/03/2012 - Gaël Guennebaud (INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest) will give a talk April 3rd at 12h15 (salle des thèses, IRIT1-UPS).
- 23/03/2012 - Gaël Guennebaud (INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest) is visiting us for two days (April 3rd and 4th).
- 13/03/2012 - I'll give a presentation March 21th at the LaBri Lab, Bordeaux.
- 13/03/2012 - I'll give a presentation March 15th at the LSIIT Lab, Strasbourg.
- 28/02/2012 - I'll give a presentation March 1st - 14h at the LIRIS Lab, Lyon.
- 27/02/2012 - Florian Canezin joined us as Master Student. He will work in the IM&M project.
- 15/02/2012 - The LabEx (Laboratory of Excellence) project CIMI (partenership IRIT/IMT) has been accepted.
- 26/01/2012 - Anthony Pajot will defend his PhD the 26/04/2012 at the IRIT Laboratory.
- 14/11/2011 - Gaël Guennebaud (INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest) is visiting us for two days (17th and 18th).
- 01/10/2011 - Our paper "Effective Despeckling of HDR Images" has been accepted as Technical Sketch at Siggraph Asia 2011.
- 01/10/2011 - Our paper "Robust Adaptive Sampling For Monte-Carlo-Based Rendering" has been accepted as Poster at Siggraph Asia 2011.
- 26/08/2011 - Rodolphe Vaillant-David joined us as PhD student. He is co-supervised and funded by Brian Wyvill (University of Victoria - Canada) and he will work in the IM&M project.
- 09/07/2011 - I'm now "Maître de Conférence Habilité à Diriger les Recherches"... a bit long ! Special thanks to Dominique Faudot, John Hughes, Christophe Schlick, Marie-Paule Cani, Bruno Levy and Mathias Paulin. Download my HDR Report.
- 15/06/2011 - I will defend my HDR the 8th of July (at around 10h30).
- 03/06/2011 - Our ANR-JCJC (young researcher programme) "Implicit Models & Meshes" has been accepted.
- 24/05/2011 - Gaël Guennebaud (INRIA Bordeaux Sud-Ouest) is visiting us.
- 13/04/2011 - My son Corentin is born.
- 04/04/2011 - My HDR report is finally written.
- 21/03/2011 - Olivier Gourmel left us, he has been hired by Real-Fusio.
- 18/03/2011 - Our paper "Sample-Space Bright Spots Removal Using Density Estimation" has been accepted for publication at GI 2011.
All Day Images
"Façonner l'imaginaire : de la création numérique 3D aux mondes virtuels animés" by Marie-Paule Cani at Collège de France. During this lecture series, I'll give a seminar Thursday 27 February 2015.