Toward robust analysis of unstructured point-cloud
I am a CNRS researcher, working at the STORM research group, in the IRIT laboratory, Toulouse.
My research interests focus on the analysis of unstructured data (usually point-clouds) generated by acquiring a physical object or scene, a very hot topic in several research communities (Computer&Graphics, Pattern Recognition, …) and in the industry. Above all the research aspects, I’m considering the following challenges: 1) there is currently no practical formalism allowing to characterize shapes at locals, medium and large scales at once, 2) the notion of a shape scale within an object is still ill-defined, despite a wide range of attempts, 3) very few studies have been published on the transitions between the pertinent scales and shapes of a 3D model.
In addition to these theoretical challenges, I’m also very interested in the applications that could be enhanced by more efficient analysis of raw point clouds: cleaning, reconstruction, abstraction, completion, recognition, etc.
I’ve also a growing interest on color processing, using geometrical properties of colors. We call that Structural Color Processing.
On top of this, I’m keeping track of the last advances in the industry, and I’m working with companies to transfer my research.
I’m looking for students, PhD students and post-doc on 3D shape analysis and processing.
Open calls are listed on our group webpage.
I’m also open to scientific, R&D and industrial partnerships.
Feel free to contact me !
Last update: December 11th, 2017.
- December 11th: Jie Shao is joining our group as visiting PhD student, and will be working on point clouds registration.
- October 1st: Thibault Lejemble is starting is PhD in the team, and will be working on point-based shape analysis.
- September 27th: checkout our interview on 3DVF on our Siggraph paper Constrained Palette-Space Exploration.
- July 29th: I’m reporting what’s happening at Siggraph 2017 for the AFIG-IGRV. Check it out here (in french): mission-siggraph-2017 (they talk about it: 3dvf).
- July 5th: Our C++ library got the SGP Software Award !
- June 29th: I’ll participate to the Innovation IT Days with Toulouse Tech Transfer.
- May 28th – June 2d 2017: I’m attending the Dagstuhl seminar on Geometric Modelling, Interoperability and New Challenges, and I will give a talk entitled Multi-scale differential analysis of point-clouds (slides).
- May 18th 2017: I’ll give a talk at Airbus, entitled Acquired 3D data analysis and processing, to present my collaboration with Franck Cazal (Airbus IDLab).
- March 25th 2017: Our paper Constrained Palette-Space Exploration has been conditionally accepted at SIGGRAPH 2017.
- March 14th 2017: I’ll be travelling during the upcoming weeks, feel free to ping me if you are around:
- March 21th – Paris: meeting Marc Baaden , researcher in computational chemistry and director of the Laboratory of Theoretical Biochemistry (UPR).
- March 23th – Toulouse: visiting the Clément Ader Institute (ICA) in Toulouse, a leading laboratory on the study of structures, systems and mechanical processes, applied in the fields of aeronautics, space, transportation and energy.
- March 27-29 – Paris: CNRS newcomers meeting.
- March 4th 2017: Céline Michaud’s poster on Mesh Simplification With Curvature Error Metric has been accepted at Eurographics 2017.
- February 22-24 2017: Rémi Cozot is visiting our team, and will give a talk on Automatic Light Compositing using Rendered Images.
- February 21th 2017: New position in our team for a 7-months maturation program. We seek for an engineer with competences in Computer Graphics (Geometry Processing, Rendering) with a strong C++/OpenGL background.
- previous entries …
Affiliation: CNRS, IRIT, Université de Toulouse, INPT, UPS, UT1C, UT2J, France.
- 2016-Now: CNRS researcher (chargé de recherche) at IRIT (Toulouse, France), at the STORM research group.
- 2014-2016: Post-doc at IRIT, Université Paul-Sabatier (Toulouse, France), with David Vanderhaeghe,
- 2013-2014: Post-doc at University College London working with Niloy Mitra,
- 2012-2013: Post-doc at Inria Bordeaux Sud-Ouest (France), working with Pascal Barla, Gaël Guennebaud and ArcheoVision,
- 2009-2012: PhD thesis at Inria Bordeaux Sud-Ouest (France), supervised by Patrick Reuter and Christophe Schlick.
Research interests (see publication and research pages for details)
- 3D shape analysis: focusing on acquired data, possibly with complex geometry and multiple pertinent scales
- 3D shape registration: focusing on global (no input pose) rigid registration with partial overlap,
- Semi-automatic systems: mixing efficient computations and interaction for real-time solutions.
It is now a good time to contact us. Checkout https://www.irit.fr/STORM/site/open-positions/ for jobs opportunities
- Thibault Lejemble (co-advisor: Loic Barthe): shape analysis
- Anahid Ghazanfarpour (co-advisor: Jean-Pierre Jessel): mesh processing
- Céline Michaud (co-advisor: Mathias Paulin. Company: Oktal-SE): mesh processing
- Baptiste Delos (co-advisor: David Vanderhaeghe): Strucutral Color Processing
- Fatemi Arezou (co-advisor: David Vanderhaeghe): real-time rendering
- Xavier Chalut (co-advisor: Jean-Pierre Jessel): mesh processing
- Georges Nader (co-advisor: Gaël Guennebaud): shape analysis
- Bastien Perpère (co-advisors: Gaël Guennebaud, Pascal Barla. Company: The Foundry): rendering
- Airbus IDLab