Toward robust analysis of unstructured point-cloud
I am a CNRS researcher, working at the STORM research group, in the IRIT laboratory, Toulouse.
My research interests focus on the analysis of unstructured data (usually point-clouds) generated by acquiring a physical object or scene, a very hot topic in several research communities (Computer&Graphics, Pattern Recognition, …) and in the industry. Above all the research aspects, I’m considering the following challenges: 1) there is currently no practical formalism allowing to characterize shapes at locals, medium and large scales at once, 2) the notion of a shape scale within an object is still ill-defined, despite a wide range of attempts, 3) very few studies have been published on the transitions between the pertinent scales and shapes of a 3D model.
In addition to these theoretical challenges, I’m also very interested in the applications that could be enhanced by more efficient analysis of raw point clouds: cleaning, reconstruction, abstraction, completion, recognition, etc.
I’ve also a growing interest on color processing, using geometrical properties of colors. We call that Structural Color Processing.
On top of this, I’m keeping track of the last advances in the industry, and I’m working with companies to transfer my research.
I’m looking for students, PhD students and post-doc on 3D shape analysis and processing.
Open calls are listed on our group webpage.
I’m also open to scientific, R&D and industrial partnerships.
Feel free to contact me !
Last update: July 12th, 2018.
- July 12th 2018: Our paper Automated Markerless Registration of Point Clouds from TLS and Structured Light Scanner for Heritage Documentation authored by Jie Shao has been accepted for publication in the Elsevier Journal of Cultural Heritage.
- April 18th 2018: We are recruiting a research engineer to transfer our Color Palette Exploration approach into commercial software. Checkout details here.
- December 11th 2017: Jie Shao is joining our group as visiting PhD student, and will be working on point clouds registration.
- October 1st 2017: Thibault Lejemble is starting is PhD in the team, and will be working on point-based shape analysis.
- September 27th 2017: checkout our interview on 3DVF on our Siggraph paper Constrained Palette-Space Exploration.
- July 29th 2017: I’m reporting what’s happening at Siggraph 2017 for the AFIG-IGRV. Check it out here (in french): mission-siggraph-2017 (they talk about it: 3dvf).
- July 5th 2017: Our C++ library got the SGP Software Award !
- previous entries …
Affiliation: CNRS, IRIT, Université de Toulouse, INPT, UPS, UT1C, UT2J, France.
- 2016-Now: CNRS researcher (chargé de recherche) at IRIT (Toulouse, France), at the STORM research group.
- 2014-2016: Post-doc at IRIT, Université Paul-Sabatier (Toulouse, France), with David Vanderhaeghe,
- 2013-2014: Post-doc at University College London working with Niloy Mitra,
- 2012-2013: Post-doc at Inria Bordeaux Sud-Ouest (France), working with Pascal Barla, Gaël Guennebaud and ArcheoVision,
- 2009-2012: PhD thesis at Inria Bordeaux Sud-Ouest (France), supervised by Patrick Reuter and Christophe Schlick.
Research interests (see publication and research pages for details)
- 3D shape analysis: focusing on acquired data, possibly with complex geometry and multiple pertinent scales
- 3D shape registration: focusing on global (no input pose) rigid registration with partial overlap,
- Semi-automatic systems: mixing efficient computations and interaction for real-time solutions.
Opportunities: checkout https://www.irit.fr/STORM/site/open-positions/.
- Jie Shao (co-advisor: Wuming Zhang): point-cloud registration and processing
- Thibault Lejemble (co-advisor: Loic Barthe): shape analysis
- Anahid Ghazanfarpour (co-advisor: Jean-Pierre Jessel): mesh processing
- Paul Bernardi (co-advisor: David Vanderhaeghe): Strucutral Color Processing
- Céline Michaud (co-advisor: Mathias Paulin. Company: Oktal-SE): mesh processing
- Baptiste Delos (co-advisor: David Vanderhaeghe): Strucutral Color Processing
- Fatemi Arezou (co-advisor: David Vanderhaeghe): real-time rendering
- Xavier Chalut (co-advisor: Jean-Pierre Jessel): mesh processing
- Georges Nader (co-advisor: Gaël Guennebaud): shape analysis
- Bastien Perpère (co-advisors: Gaël Guennebaud, Pascal Barla. Company: The Foundry): rendering
- Airbus IDLab