Once a month we organize a seminar for an invited speaker, to present recent research results or on-going projects, industrial or production needs and pipelines. Invited speakers are encouraged to visit the team for one or several days.
You would like to visit our team and give a talk ? Contact nicolas.mellado_A_T_irit.fr.
- 2019-01-17: Ensuring congruency between light & shape – Romain Vergne [webpage]
- Affiliation: Associate professor at the University of Grenoble, Researcher in the Maverick team (Inria, LJK)
- Talk Abstract: This talk will be decomposed into 2 parts: first, I will first present an overview of recent previous works that cover most of my research interests (texture synthesis, image edition and expressive rendering). Next, I will focus more particularly on an ongoing project related to the perception and exaggeration of shape in a 3D rendering context. The goal of this project is to locally modify the direction of the light at multiple scales to ensure a proper congruency with shape features, and consequently to better depict shape in rendered images.
- Short bio: Romain Vergne is associate professor at the University of Grenoble Alpes (France) and researcher in the Maverick team (Inria, LJK) since 2012. The main goal of his research is to (1) study the phenomenological links between shapes, light and matter in order to (2) design perceptually plausible computer graphics tools to edit the appearance of objects in computer generated images and photographs. Previously, he was a post-doc researcher at the Justus Liebig University of Giessen (Germany). He studied color constancy with Karl R. Gegenfurtner and shape perception with Roland W. Fleming in 2011 and 2012. He defended his Ph.D. in computer graphics in 2010 at the University of Bordeaux under the supervision of Christophe Schlick, Xavier Granier and Pascal Barla.
- 2018-12-11: Ali Hamdan [lkdn, imdb]
- Affiliation: CTO and co-founder of Karlab
- Short bio: Ali Hamdan est un directeur de personnages et superviseur technique avec plus de 15 ans d’expérience dans l’industrie du cinéma d’animation, incluant la modélisation 3D, le rig/ setup, la création de fourrure, l’éclairage/ rendu et le développement d’outils. Riche de son expérience sur l’ensemble de la chaîne de production ainsi que dans l’encadrement et la transmission de connaissances il a co-fondé en 2016 avec Laurent Guittard la société Karlab spécialisée dans la création de personnages 3D, la supervision, la formation et le consulting.
- 2018-11-30: Structuring data for editing and visualization – Noura Faraj [webpage]
- Affiliation: Associate professor at University of Montpellier, Researcher in the ICAR team (LIRMM)
- Talk Abstract: We present how to combine multi-scale, and complementary representations such as topologic and geometric structures adapted to the targeted application and tailored for an unexperienced user. These representations allow tackling efficiently a variety of complex problems especially in the context of pluridisciplinary projects. Their creation, use, and visualization have to be intuitive, interactive and controllable at a high level. In this setting, the modeling process and the abstraction are guide towards the information. For instance, we present a volume representation combining voxels and tetrahedra resulting in a hybrid versatile model adapted to a number of major applications in computer graphics — in particular in the context of medical images, a multi-scale complex for the volume multi-domain features, and a hierarchical structure — a tree of shapes, used to generate intuitively a variety of stylized version of an image.
- Short bio: Noura Faraj is an Associate Professor at the Université de Montpellier where she joined the ICAR team of the LIRMM in September 2018. Her research work addresses how to model, interact with and visualize interactively large volume datasets with a particular focus on mesh generation and processing of segmented 3D images. Her work is at the intersection of variety of topics related to computer graphics and visualization (geometric modeling, Non-Photorealistic Rendering, image processing and stylization…). She completed her PhD in 2013 in the Computer Graphics Group of Telecom ParisTech under the supervision of Tamy Boubekeur and Isabelle Bloch. She then joined the applied mathematics research group MAP5 at Université Paris Descartes as a research engineer working on image processing. Next, she worked as a post-doctoral researcher in the Graphics and visualization Group at Tulane University in New Orleans.
- 2018-11-09: CGAL – Sébastien Loriot
- Affiliation: R&D Engineer at Geometry Factory and co-author of several CGAL packages
- Short bio: Sébastien is co-author of several CGAL packages and is mainly working on various operations on polyhedral surfaces. He obtained his PhD in Mathematics from University of Burgundy. During his PhD studies, Sébastien worked first within the Geometrica and then ABS research groups at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis.