Head : Mathias PAULIN
The member of the STORM research groups are recognized expert in the following field of computer graphics :
- Colors and perception
- Expressive rendering
- Physically based rendering
- Real time rendering
- Implicit surfaces modeling
- 3D Mesh processing
- 3D Point cloud processing
- 3D Shapes analysis
- Skeleton-based computer animation
Content creation for computer graphics remains a complex problem while requirements and expectations from a constantly increasing number of users are getting more and more prominent.
On the one hand, the representation and computation of data require to combine 3D objects, animation parameters, and lighting parameters. Hence the computation of a picture leads to mathematical modeling, data structure and algorithmic complexity problems.
On the other hand, creating, acquiring, editing, and exploiting such data relies on efficient user interactions with these objects and requires versatile creation and edition metaphors hiding the mathematical complexity of the 3D content.
This ambivalent vision of content creation for computer graphics is at the heart of our scientific objectives : the definition of domain-centered content creation frameworks for animated computer graphics.
By relying on our joint geometry/appearance approach, we address bottlenecks in geometric aspect of skeletal animation guided by visual objectives, efficient sampling and reconstruction strategies for stochastic algorithms, user editing method for picture generation as well as multi-scale feature guided geometric reconstruction from acquired 3D data.
Collaborations and research valorization
Based on our research directions and on our expertise in 3D computer graphics, we collaborate with academic partners and industrial groups to build knowledge, models and tools towards the following applications :
- Geometric modeling for real-time web 3D applications
- 3D data acquisition, segmentation and classification for reverse engineering in CAD.
- Numerical integration method for spectral radiative transfer simulation.
- Color edition and transformation for visual content creation.
- Interactive models and tools for computer animation.